Saturday, February 14, 2009

How To Prayer Doodle

The process of a prayer doodle... beginning with just some names of folks I am praying for (in this example, I would be praying for Abraham and Sarah and their struggle with infertility - see Genesis 19 and 21 - and Mary and Martha in the loss of their brother, Lazarus - see John 11)


After writing the names of the people, I doodle around them the things I am praying over them. Here, I'm praying for communication and grace between them as well as their hearts to be unified in the areas of infertility, marriage and grief. I'm praying for both of their health and love and am asking God to wrap them completely in a special gift of faith in Him. I've "wrapped" Mary and Martha in God's peace, comfort and love in their grief over the loss of their brother. I've included scriptures that I'm praying over them especially at this time.

As I color each element, I am praying over them again.


The "completed" doodle for Abe and Sarah and Mary, Martha and Lazarus.



2 comments:

  1. Your sister and I both wrote something on Holley Gerth's blog in order to win a prize. Your sister mentioned your prayer doodling idea as a tool to use in dealing with a busy day. I clicked on her link and here I am! I LOVE IT! I am Prayer Room Coordinator at my Church and I can't wait to share your idea w/ others! I have kind of been doing the same thing for a few years, but I have been drawing out scriptures as I read them. I'm not an artist, but I am creative. I have been putting my scripture drawings on 4x6 cards and putting the cards in a small photo album. (Pray that I'll find the album after a move!) Guess I could start calling my scripture drawings "scripture doodles" now. Would you mind if I did?
    http://oklahomajanetbroyles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. Your drawings are beautiful, hard for me to classify as "doodles." In fact, if I would have been introduced to your pictures the same day I read through the book, Praying in Color, I would have given up before my first doodle. Not to criticize in any way! I love your pictures. I wish I had that kind of talent. Nor do I have that kind of time. I am a caregiver for both my parents, and my free time is tucked in to my day here and there. I rarely have a stretch of time without interruptions. The size of my prayer doodle book is about the size of a note card, just perfect for me to sketch out a quick prayer. I, like you, love the idea of prayer doodling. Thanks so much for putting up all of these wonderful pages of drawings. - Carol

    ReplyDelete